My Guide Website?
York: 1-Hour Small Group Evening Walking Tour112 Reviews
Take an early evening stroll from the dawn of Christianity to the modern-day with a small guided group tour. Experience a side of York you would never see from an open-topped bus.
- Delve with a small group into the labyrinth of ancient passages and snickelways
- Soak up the stories behind the Minster, castle and medieval walls
- Discover the place where it is possible to view 2000 years of history while turning on one spot
- Explore the Shambles - the original Diagon Alley
DescriptionEarly evening is the most atmospheric time to experience York, the shops have closed, the tourist hordes have departed, the ancient streets lie at your disposal. This hour-long walking tour is for anyone seeking a concise, informal and entertaining introduction to York in the company of an expert local guide. Discover why the Minster is known as a Minster rather than a cathedral, why all the streets in York are called Gates and all the gates are called Bars. Start your tour in Exhibition Square, and see 2000 years of history simply by turning in a circle. Take in all the must-see sights including the Minster, the medieval walls and the Shambles, the inspiration for Diagon Alley. Take the opportunity to enter the maze of ancient cut-throughs and back-passages, or Snickelways as they are known locally. Although this isn't a ghost tour there are plenty of gruesome true stories to be heard. By the end of the walk you will be ready for your dinner reservation having tasted the full flavour of a city which still has Viking mud on its boots and a tang of cocoa in the air.
IncludesPlease note this is a walking tour of the city - admission to the Minster is NOT included
- Comfortable shoes recommended as you will be on your feet though York is forgivingly flat
- Suitable for all ages - family groups especially welcome
- No ghosts: this tour does not include any phantoms or ghost stories and is child-friendly